After years of controversy surrounding the treatment of its factory workers, Apple decided Thursday to eliminate the use of two toxic chemicals in its manufacturing process.
Lisa Jackson, vice president of environmental initiatives at Apple (AAPL, Tech30), says the computer company will prohibit the use of benzene and n-hexane in the assembly of its electronics. Benzene is a carcinogen associated with leukemia, and workers who are exposed to high concentrations of n-hexane in large doses can develop nerve damage, according to the U.S. Center for Disease Control.
I – Word Understanding
carcinogen – a subsance that can cause cancer
leukemia – cancer of the bone marrow / blood
II – Have Your Say
1. Work provides economic and other benefits to workers. However, work hazards present health and safety risks to people at work. These includes:
– Physical and mechanical hazards
– Biological and chemical hazards
– Psychosocial hazards
2. Occupational risks vary on sectors and industries. Some ot the high risk sectors are:
– Service sector
– Mining, oil and gas extraction
– Healthcare and Social assistance