If you have knee osteoarthritis, you’re in good company. About 9 million Americans struggle with knee arthritis, and it’s especially common among older adults. Although there is no cure, the right treatment can reduce pain and stiffness so you can stay active and enjoy life more.
I – Word Understanding
arthritis – inflammation of one or more joints
osteoarthritis – arthritis marked by degeneration of cartilage and bone of joints
II – Word Understanding
Here are 10 key things to know about knee arthritis:
1. Knee arthritis is common.
2. Knee osteoarthritis is “wear and tear” of the knee.
3. Symptoms usually develop gradually.
4. Knee arthritis can affect your whole life
5. There is no cure, but treatment can help.
6. Trim your weight to ease knee stress.
7. Medication combats pain and inflammation.
8. Non-drug and alternative therapy might be worth trying.
9. Self-care means less “ouch”.
10. There are several surgical options.