Sometimes deep down, we’re aware that the choice we’re about to make isn’t the best one. Rather than change course, however, we offer excuses to justify what we are about to do. Instead of stopping ourselves from heading down the wrong path—or admitting we made a mistake—we get defensive and attempt to rationalize our behavior. Ultimately, we dig ourselves deeper. Every one of us behaves impulsively, gives in to immediate gratification, or overlooks risk sometimes. When we do, we justify our poor choices.
I – Word Understanding
dig deeper – to make things worse
gratification – reward / pleasure
II – Have Your Say
1. Mistakes are inevitable. How do you handle your mistakes?
2. Here are 5 most common statements used to justify mistakes and/or making poor choices:
1. I deserve to be happy.
2. I’d rather beg for forgiveness rather than ask for permission.
3. You only live once (YOLO).
4. I’m just being honest.
5. I don’t care what anybody thinks.