From work perks to technology tweaks, this country aims to make everyday living easier.
Google “Sweden” and you’ll “… Discover a country where the moose is king, Pippi Longstocking is a hero and innovation rules.”
Those are worthy points of pride, but there are so many other things that Sweden does right.
I – Word Understanding
tweaks – improvements / adjustments
Pippi Longstocking – the main character of a popular Swedish children’s novel
II – Have Your Say
Here are 10 things that Sweden does right:
1. New parents are entitled to 480 days of parental leave; of those, 60 days are reserved for the new dad.
2. There’s always something to do outdoors. People have the right to public access, even on private lands.
3. Blood donors get updates when their blood is being put to use.
4. Swedes who know CPR, under a program, can help heart attack victims before the ambulance arrives.
5. Vacations are big business because average Swede get 5 weeks of paid vacation.
6.Only 1% of household waste is wasted, 99% is recycled.
7. Public transportation is excellent
8. Men and women are equal, Sweden is the 4th most equal country in the world.
9. Food is never boring, Swedish food culture includes a variety of foods. Many Swedes eat their candies only on a Saturday, dubbed as “sweets day”.
10. Pop music is popular, Swedish music have feel good melodies and simple lyrics. Popular performers: Abba, Ace of Base, Roxette