In 1999, Bill Gates wrote a book titled Business @ the Speed of Thought.
In the book, Gates makes 15 bold predictions that at the time might have sounded outrageous.
But as business student Markus Kirjonen pointed out on his blog, Gates’ forecasts turned out to be “eerily prescient.”
I – Word Understanding
outrageous – shocking / unusual
eerily – strangely
prescient – able to know what will happen in the future
II – Have Your Say
Bill Gates, founder of Microsoft is the world’s richest man. Do you know other things about Bill Gates?
Let’s reflect on some of the predictions made by Bill Gates in 1999:
1. Automated price comparison services will be developed, allowing
people to find the cheapest product for all industries.
2. People will carry around small devices that allow them to constantly
stay in touch and do electronic business from wherever they are.
3. People will pay their bills, take care of their finances, and
communicate with their doctors over the Internet.
4. ‘Personal companions’ will be developed. They will connect and sync
all your devices in a smart way, whether they are at home or in the office, and allow them to exchange data.
5. Constant video feeds of your house will become common, which
inform you when somebody visits while you are not home.
6. Private websites for your friends and family will be common,
allowing you to chat and plan for events.
7. Residents of cities and countries will be able to have Internet-based
discussions concerning issues that affect them
8. Similarly, people looking for work will be able to find employment
opportunities online by declaring their interest, needs, and specialized skills.