Who hasn’t shared an amazing science fact only to feel embarrassed later on, when you find out the information was wrong?
It’s time to put an end to the most alluring science myths, misconceptions, and inaccuracies passed down through the ages.
To help the cause we’ve rounded up and corrected dozens of the most shocking science “facts” that are bizarrely wrong about food, animals, the Earth, biology, space, alcohol, and health.
I Word Understanding
Biology- the science that studies living organisms
II Have your say
- Do inventions amaze you?
- These are 10 things science myths. What do you think of these myths?
- Eating food within 5 seconds of dropping it on the floor is safe.
The five-second-rule isn’t a real thing. Bacteria can contaminate a food within milliseconds.
- An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
Apples are packed with vitamin C and fiber, both of which are important to long-term health, but they aren’t all you need.
- Eating ice cream will make your cold worse
The idea that dairy increases mucous production is very fortunately not true, according to researchers and a doctor at the Mayo Clinic, who says “in fact, frozen dairy products can soothe a sore throat and provide calories when you otherwise may not eat.
- The great wall of China is the only man-made structure visible from space.
The Great Wall of China isn’t the only man-made structure visible from space. It all depends on where you believe space begins above Earth
- Everyone should drink eight glasses of water a day.
Hydration is very important, but the idea that eight glasses of water is essential is a strange one
- Drinking alcohol kills your brain cells.
Excessive drinking can damage the connections between brain cells, but won’t actually zap any of your neurons.